I have quite a few family photo sessions on the books in the next few weeks. I always get asked, “What should we wear?” Not being a huge fan of matching outfits, I try to suggest coordinating instead. This is easy for some, and harder for others. But isn’t this chart of suggestions fantastic! And you could outfit your whole family for your photo shoot from the Gap and Old Navy. You may even have a few of the pieces already.
I found this chart via Pinterest from here. I’m totally impressed. Maybe I’ll get up the courage to make a few of my own style boards here soon, since a few of my clients aren’t quite the Gap or Old Navy type. (Although I totally am!)
Check out my Pinterest board dedicated to what to wear in family photos. And also, some of my favorite images. This is also a great pictorial list of casual style from photographer Jillian Renne. And this one has lots of color grouping ideas.
A few other styling tips of my own:
- Dress in colors you have in your house. (These are usually your favorites. If you live with grandma, maybe pass on that suggestion. Or not!)
- Your clothing choices should match as much as a looking at a spread of outfits in a catalog or window display would. They coordinate, but aren’t all the exact same pieces.
- Layer. This is especially easy for fall and winter photos. A sweater with a jacket. Hats. Boots with knee socks sticking out.
- Mix textures. Again this is especially easy for fall. One kid in denim, another in corduroy. Blazers, sweaters, Oxford shirts…. You get the point
- Don’t be afraid to pop some color. Just a pair of colorful shoes, or a chunky bracelet will take a basic outfit a long way.
- BE COMFORTABLE! Unless you are aiming for a Royal Wedding style shoot, wear what you would wear on an “above average” day. (i.e. Grandma’s birthday party or a lunch date with your besties) You will like this photos more and look natural. If you have kids to include, this will help them ease into the shoot faster, and be more cooperative.
What tips do you have for “what to wear for family photos”?
ORIGINALLY POSTED HERE ON 10/13/11